Friday, February 12, 2010

The irony of the usability test...

So you may recall that this week the focus of my comments has been on the Facebook redesign.  My plan has been that I'd use the redesigned tool while others were getting acquainted with it as well.  Folks would form opinions on features they like and dislike and we'd end up with some fairly interesting fodder for my blog.  Sounds reasonable.

During the week I also decided to post the link to my blog on Facebook and ask my FB friends to add comments about the Facebook redesign to my blog.  Keep in mind, the circle of people potentially viewing my blog was expanding exponentially as a result of that prompt and yes, that was scary.

Well as I went through the link posting process, I learned that I wasn't just posting the link in my status, I found out the step was bolder than I had anticipated.  It went something like this...  I changed my status to request feedback.  Then when I pasted the link to my blog in that status, but the system responded by doing more then just posting the link.  The system created a new section on, I don't know if its on my wall or my home page (gosh, I wish Facebook would have some indicator telling me what page I'm actually on) and posted my link to my blog and along with my photo from my blog.  Yikes, I didn't expect that to happen.  My blood pressure went up slightly due to the unexpected system response but I gradually learned I could live with the outcome.

So my request of my FaceBook friends was to share feedback on elements they liked or didn't like about the new Facebook.  Feeling a bit vulnerable, I awaited my first piece of feedback to this very out of character request.  The rest of the evening went by and I didn't get one single response to my request either on Facebook or directly on my blog.  Hmmm,  I wondered if I had over stepped by Facebook boundaries by posting my request.  Or were my friends simply hesitant to go out and reply to a blog.  Well another full day passed without a single comment on either.  I knew there were people out there who had opinions on the new design.  Why weren't they responding to my inquiry?

Well two days later, I received a Facebook message from a friend asking why he could no longer view or write on my wall.  The lights suddenly went on in my brain and my questions began to get answers.  Facebook friends hadn't been able to respond because on the night I posted the link, I also modified my Facebook  security.  In adjusting my security  settings, I had tightened my privacy setting restricting even friends from viewing my wall.

Today, if we're Facebook friends, I expect you will be able to view the items on 'my wall' including the link to this blog.  And I hope you'll provide candid feedback on what you like, or don't like, about the Facebook redesign.  I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.


~jill

No comments: